Sunday, March 18, 2012

Lets talk about weight


NOTE:
The new home of our blog will be www.inclusivelife.org/category/blog beginning April 1, 2012.

I am not in the habit of writing blogs that pertain to my person life or journey.  Today, I make an exception.  There might be someone else out there that needs this message, or someone will deliver it to them.


I have always been a big man.  Fat.  About a month ago despite being on many drugs to help keep water out of my system, I reach the heaviest I have ever been, 365.  That is a lot of weight for five foot seven human being!


After some testing, and some lab work my doctor and I sat down and talk about what we have tried, and we know we don’t have resources for.  And he asked if I would be open to an untraditional approach to this problem.  I said I am listening…  I listened with great interest and it made me smile, a friend of mine had suggested the same thing about 6 months back.  I thought he was nuts.  Wasn’t so nuts when it came out of my doctors mouth.  He assured me that it is not traditional by any means, but it may dot the trick to help me lose weight, reset my body and prepare me for a new life and way of eating.


A week later I had shed 22 pounds.  That’s right, 22 pounds!  What am I doing you ask?  Simple.  Getting back to the basics.  I am fasting.  I am drinking, water, black coffee or black tea.  That is it.  No solid foods of any type.  50% of my friends are frantic and saying no!  And the others have been most supportive.


I know that this approach is not something that should be used for everyone, and should not be attempted without your doctors guidance.  I see mine each week for blood work, blood pressure check and to check in about health issues.


If this is what it will take for me to shed 50-60 pounds to help kick start my ability for my body to heal itself I am with that.  I know that from the first day I get to eat, it will be about counting calories.  It will be about eating more vegetables.  It will be about eliminating fast food, processed foods and getting back to what we should be eating as humans. 


I will be looking at my calories different than most.  It will be about my weekly calorie intake vs. daily.  If I go over, I will need to fast the reminder of the days, not just keep eating.  That also is a very foreign way of diet thought.  Again, it may not be for everyone, but I believe it will work for me.


As humans we didn’t eat 3 meals a day every day, we ate when we gathered or when we hunted.  That’s it.  There was no processed foods to choose from. 


I will check in with you all in a few weeks to let you know how this journey went.  Thanks for letting me share.


We can be the change we seek in this world, and in ourselves.  One day.  One journey.  One person.  One pound at a time.

Royal D. Bush serves as a Multifaith Chaplain with Inclusive Life.  He studied at Andersonville Theological Seminary, and with the International Institute of Faith Based Counseling.  He holds a Bachelor Degree in business administration. Chaplain Royal shares two important messages: You are beautiful, you are loved and you are worthy, just the way you are.  And: Now is time in this world that every human being is called to life up the weak, offer a hand UP to the impoverished, cherish our elders and stand up for the oppressed.

Religious.  Non religious.  Spiritual.  Weddings. Premarital Coaching. Pastoral Care. End of Life Planning. Couples Coaching. Funeral Ceremonies.  Hospital Visits.  We serve all without exception.

CONTACT US:
www.inclusivelife.org (Newly designed web site!)
402-575-7006
105 S. 49th Street Omaha, NE 68132
500 Willow Ave Council Bluffs, IA 51503

Omaha Weddings. Omaha Counseling. Omaha Funerals, Nebraska Weddings
Council Bluffs Weddings, Council Bluffs Counseling, Council Bluffs Funeral, Iowa Weddings

No comments:

Post a Comment