Sunday, October 30, 2011

Earth Freaks

I remember being in the 3rd grade at Bertha Barbra Elementary in Bellevue.  On field trips and while outside most any day, I would “freak out” when other children would liter.  I would ether yell at them or go pick it up myself.  I guess that was my contribution to the planet.  Then.  Times have change and I, like you, owe the planet more than I have been a steward of/for.

A couple years ago we visited my sister in law.  Her and her husband were like these earth freaks.  OMG.  I thought it was funny.  Well, it was funny until I started to realize how right they were for doing what most of American fails to do… care enough to take action.  They don’t just talk about it they live it!  Use plastic grocery sacks?  Never, bring your own cloth bags!  Bring your own container for leftovers at dinner?  Every time!  Recycle, reuse and reduce is how they live their life.  Standard bulbs in their house?  Nope, energy savings bulbs.    

I must of liked those “freaks” cause when we arrived home we bought energy savings bulbs, we bought a recycling trash bin-sorter, we started using cloth grocery bags, and we reduced, reused and began recycling.  So yes, we are those earth freaks too!  HAHA  (And yes I know that being a good steward goes beyond those few examples.)

The first commercial I remember about pollution and taking care of the planet was 1970’s Keep America Beautiful that featured a Native American crying over what he saw and felt.  That was 40 years ago.  Do our rivers and banks look like they did then, no, not all the time, but some do.  Is pollution as bad?  Depends on what study you read.  I can’t imagine that all the oil that has been displaced is good for the environment.

We seem to choke the life out most everything that we can get something from, that is our culture.  At some point we will need to realize that there may be no more life to get if we continue to pollute the way we do and the way we let others get away with poluting our beloved planet.  Our planet is like our teeth, if you

I ask you to sit down and really give some thought about what you can commit to changing in your life  Even if one light bulb this week.  One bulb.  One less plastic bag.  Recycling.  Reducing.  Reusing.  Can all lead to represent the changes we seek in this world.

Chaplain Royal Bush and Chaplain Beth Loofe are Interfaith Chaplains offering nondenominational and nonreligious care and services to all, without exception in Nebraska and Iowa. They conduct WeddingsPremarital Coaching, Couples Coaching,Funerals, End of Life Planning, and Pastoral Care. For more information please email info@inclusivelife.org OR phone 402-575-7006. Omaha Weddings, Omaha Counseling, Omaha Funerals

No comments:

Post a Comment