Monday, October 31, 2011

Freedom


Freedom.  It can be such an ambiguous word.  An easily form of freedom is often thought of when people think of inmates verses those not incarcerated.  Eastern religions speak of  Samsara (continues flow) In modern parlance, Samsara refers to a place, set of objects and possessions, but originally, the word referred to a process of continuous pursuit or flow of life.  It is said that mistaking illusion for reality is the root cause of suffering. 

Illusion is a place that many people live in, well have or do at points in our life.  Probably more true for us “Westerners” than it is for Easterner’s.  Freedom.  It has implications far more deeper than just what we give the word credit for.  Again, we most often think of the word as it applies to those inmates locked up.  Those prisoners of war.  Those detainees. 

Freedom.  We do we need to be free from?  When we give focused thought and process to how the word can apply to our lives it can release great meaning and awareness.  Some of my most powerful “tough love” moments included me become free from what was hold me hostage AT the same time that I had no freedom.  Now THAT is power my friends.  Freedom in the very moment there was none!  How does that happen?

Often in time of crisis, deep-honest reflection and those “ah ha” moments (to some known as the 2x4 moments) we reach for what we considered our strength, and we find our authentic selves, whole and powerful.  It is true that our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate!  It is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.

I have always been an impatient person.  I prayed several years ago for a gift of patience.  It came in an unexpected form.  I was on my way home, and I was delayed.  In the end, I realized that I was where I needed to be because someone needed me.  This person’s primary care giver and guardian passed away.  He had not other family.  His lifeline, his support of life was gone.  He had little coping skills.  I held him for what seemed like two days, probably just a few hours.  He cried, then he just breathed, then he cried, then he was mad and yelled, then he breathed.  All in all 7 days had passed and when it was all said and done I realized that I was needed to be there for him.  This delay was not about me.  It was not significant in my life.  If I was delayed 7 days and I GOT THE CHANCE to help another human being with their journey, isn’t that the meaning of life? (well at least part of it?)  It took me a few weeks to process this lesson.

Today I look back with total clarity.  Freedom.  I was not able to go.  However, the freedom that I have today, resulted in NOT having certain freedoms then.  My illusion of what was important was being driven by my agenda, my timeline, my needs, my wants, my selfishness.  When I was able to reach down to my authentic self, I found power, truth, light, enlightenment that today contributes to a freedom unmatched by any worldly possession.  And that perhaps, is one of the greatest gifts of all.

We all can be the change we seek in this world.  One person.  One day.  One journey.  One chance of freedom at a time…

Chaplain Royal Bush and Chaplain Beth Loofe are Interfaith Chaplains offering nondenominational and nonreligious care and services to all, without exception in Nebraska and Iowa. They conduct WeddingsPremarital Coaching, Couples Coaching,Funerals, End of Life Planning, and Pastoral Care. For more information please email info@inclusivelife.org OR phone 402-575-7006. Omaha Weddings, Omaha Counseling, Omaha Funerals.

No comments:

Post a Comment