Saturday, October 29, 2011

Remembeing Family Members

Today we take time to honor our family members who are no longer with us.  For some, they may take exception to the particular members that I speak of; our pets.  I would not encourage anyone to challenge a pet owner to the contrary, especially those whom have had to burry one. 

The first animal we had that died was my first dog, her name was Tags.  A beautiful small black lab mix.  Silly dog was in her pen without a chain but she didn’t know that.  She always played with me, kissed me every day.  Her tail always wagging. 

The second, and most recent pet that passed is one that we had to put to sleep.  There have been two times in my life that my mother has cried so hard, it shook my soul; 1) when her daughter passed and 2) when her little mini Dachshund had a back injury that could not be repaired and it was the most humane option.  Up until that point those two could not be separated. 

Relationships with pets are unique and special bonds, much like our relationships with individual members of our families, special and unique.  Pets offer unconditional love, even on days when others find us unlovable or unlikeable, our pets think we are kings and queens.  If ONLY we could live up to the expectation that they have of us!  They are always there for us no matter what kind of mood we are in or what kind of day we have had.

Pets often see us through transitions and stages of our life.  Sometimes we spend more time with our pets than anyone else.  Or we might share more with our pets than we do anyone else, funny how sometimes they understand us huh?  I was sick a few months back, I should have been in the hospital.  My cat, which is not a typical lap cat did not leave my side.  At one point when I was not in a good way, she spent about 10 minutes talking with me… she knew I was not well.

Our pets become part of our identity, who we are, and often times change how we react to others.  They often give us a sense of purpose and meaning because they depend on us to take care of their basic needs.  They are there to meet our needs for physical touch and affection.  Our arms feel empty when we no longer have them to hold and cuddle with.

Our family members help us to be better people, because of them we have been blessed.  We are the privileged ones to have been so lucky to care for and be a part of their life.

We can be the change we seek in this world.  One person.  One day.  One journey.  One family member at a time.

Chaplain Royal Bush and Chaplain Beth Loofe are Interfaith Chaplains offering nondenominational and nonreligious care and services to all, without exception in Nebraska and Iowa. They conduct WeddingsPremarital Coaching, Couples Coaching,Funerals, End of Life Planning, and Pastoral Care. For more information please email info@inclusivelife.org OR phone 402-575-7006. Omaha Weddings, Omaha Counseling, Omaha Funerals

No comments:

Post a Comment