Saturday, September 14, 2013

September 14, 2008


It was on this date in 2008 that I was named Minister of Hospitality at MCC Omaha (Metropolitan Community Church of Omaha.) What a ride of history!

I began worshiping at MCC Omaha many years prior, when the Rev. Mathew Howard was Sr. Pastor. My how worship styles, music and ministry work has changed.

One thing that has not change over the years, and I suspect since day one, is that many in Omaha claim, identify, or choose MCC as their “home” church. I am sure for a number of reasons (all of which are valid and true.) I do.





After getting a time-out from a judge and being away from my family for a brief period of time, I came home to a fresh start. It was during that time that I got right with myself, knew I had to get right with others, and I got right with God. I found my salvation, purpose and light while being punished.

When I returned home, I began a men’s support group at MCC. The church, Pastor Tom, and church leadership supported the group and encouraged me. After a few months the attendance began to decline and I walked away. Feeling discouraged. I didn’t ask for help, I just gave up.

A few months later I started to attend church again. Interestingly I was welcomed with open arms. I love to hug, say hello and make others laugh and smile. I became a fixture at the door on Sunday’s. I felt out of place if I was anywhere else but that door. I knew everyone’s face and knew right away if you were a regular, semi-regular, once-in-a-while or a newbie. I made sure that if you had not been back for a while or you were a newbie, that more than one person greeted you and welcomed you.

A few months of this and I was approached by the church to consider accepting the position of Minister of Hospitality. Of course I said yes! I so very much enjoyed that honor and responsibility.

In November of 2008 (I believe) I was honored to be asked by my peers to consider becoming a Deacon, and enter a time of Discernment. I accepted that challenge as well.

Although I do not attend MCCO, today, on a regular basis, I still preach, teach and sing their praises. Like any church, it is not a church for everyone, and it is a church for anyone. 

Since my service at MCC Omaha, I founded Inclusive Life with the purpose to serve those who are without a pastor, or a church, and those without a religious belief when they need religious or non-religious pastoral services or holistic care.

I would not be a pastor myself if it were not for MCC, and the many people who lead me, pushed me, and provided tough love, true love and spiritual love. Because of MCCO I have dimension of spirituality that no other church that I have visited, has been able to see, feel, accept, or know.

I am thankful. I am grateful. I am blessed. I am a product of a community that has built me up, after I tore myself down. People are not meant to be thrown away. I close by sharing with you a phrase that I have coined based on my life experience, schooling and life… YOU are beautiful, loved and worthy. Just the way you are.

-Chaplain Royal D. Bush

We can be the change we seek in this world, and in ourselves.
One day. One journey. One person, at a time.
May peace, love and compassion be with you…AND from you!

Rev. Royal D. Bush is the founder of Inclusive Life, where he serves as a multifaith Chaplain. He shares this message to all: “You are beautiful, you are loved and you are worthy, just the way you are.” He holds a Bachelor Degree in business administration. He studied at Andersonville Theological Seminary. He holds a current certificate of spiritual counseling with the International Institute of Faith Based Counseling and is a member of Spiritual Directors International. He actively volunteers and remains active in many social justice issues.

Contact me:
chaplainroyal@inclusivelife.org
www.inclusivelife.org
www.facebook.com/chaplainroyal
402-575-7006

3622 Leavenworth Street Omaha, NE 68105

No comments:

Post a Comment