Sunday, January 6, 2013

Up to 3rd Grade

The early 70's... a time when a parent didn't think twice about allowing a child to ride their bike a couple of miles to pick up a loaf of bread or a gallon of milk, from the local liquor store.  It was also a time that I believe that both parents and neighbors accepted the responsibility and notion that it "takes a village to raise a child"... My mom knew everything I did and didn't do before I told her (or didn't tell her!) HAHA

My first grade teacher was Ms. Warren.  I remember her smile.  She was nice.  I remember playing with my friends Mark Lane, Eddy Smith and Damian Dominic.  If I wasn't playing outside with one of them, I was probably in the house with mom.  I don't remember homework much.  I had to keep my room clean, but I did that anyway.  I don't like disorganization.  Yes, even then.

My second grade teacher was Mrs. Hebeil.  I believe she went on to become a principal for Bellevue Schools.  I had two third grade teachers, as I was held back a grade.  Mrs. Rubin and Mrs. Kowker.  Mrs. Rubin was nice, I remember her smile.  I don't think Mrs. Kowker had kids by this point in her life.  She tried very hard.  Although I know we didn't connect, she was a caring person.

I remember passing the Zaunka's house every day from school.  An old German couple.  Everyone said stay clear of them.  The town actually held a meeting to remove them from the city.  (I keep telling myself it was the early 70's.)  I stopped by all the time to pick up cookies, great chats and Mrs. Zaunka's smile.  She was a friendly, loving "grandma" in my book.  One day they were gone.  Their house is still there.  Maybe I will buy it one day.  A VERY small house, probably the size of a large garage!

I was surrounded by people who loved me, knew me (even if I didn't know them) and certainly knew who Mrs. Bush was!  I always felt safe.  I never felt a lone.  Yes, at times I felt that someone was watching me (not in creepy sort of way) more like mom looking out the crack of the curtain kind of way.  Even if I wasn't on my own street.

I remember swimming lessons.  They threw a quarter in the big pool and made us go get it.  Ya, right.  I had never been swimming before, really!  They were trying to drown me I tell you!  As you guessed, they didn't and I lived to tell about it.

A lot was getting ready to change.  We were getting ready to move from Bellevue to LaVista, we were going to share a house with my Sister Sharon (Birth mother) her husband Larry, Shawn, and Danny.  Talk about enough in the house.  At some point Larry Jr. and Jerry lived with us as well.  The year was 1976, hello LaVista, NE here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment