Sunday, January 20, 2013

Ministering to yourself

In the days since mom has passed (four to be exact) I have paused to realize how physically and emotionally I am drained at the end of a four our work day.

A dear friend reminded me to stay hydrated and eat well.  Another reminded me to take naps in the middle of the day.  I only got four hours of sleep last night, the first night I didn't sleep sound and long.

I reflect on how easy it come, for me, to minister to and care for the spiritual and emotional needs of others and yet when that practice is needed for one's self, it seems a bit elusive.

This process, for me, has allowed me to understand with a bit more deeper meaning on how one travels through the death of a family member, not always the same but I assure you there are some consistent part of the process that we all share.

Things I have taken note on:
1. You need more periods of rest.  Don't push yourself.
2. Don't be too sensitive to the words of others.  Their words come from places of good intentions.
3. Pre-planning is helpful, especially having those important documents (birth certificates, family records, etc.), you will need them.
4. We all grieve in our own way, on our time, and that is ok.
5. Stay hydrated and fed.


Rev. Royal D. Bush is the founder of Inclusive Life, where he serves as a multifaith Chaplain.  He shares this message to all: “You are beautiful, you are loved and you are worthy, just the way you are.” 

Chaplain Royal is available for Premarital Coaching, Couples Coaching, Grief Support, End of Life Planning, Hospital Visits, Baptisms, Blessings, Dedications, Officiate Weddings, Officiate Funerals, Public Speaking and other Pastoral Care.

ABOUT INCLUSIVE LIFE PASTORAL SERVIVES…
Religious, nonreligious, spiritual, we serve all without exception.
info@inclusivelife.org
OFFICE (402) 575-7006          TEXT (402) 909-1668
3622 Leavenworth Street Omaha, NE 68105

No comments:

Post a Comment