Saturday, September 8, 2012

My Mom


My mom will be 94 the 20th of this month. Born in 1918, I call her my old goat.  I love my mommy.  I am adopted, she is my grandmother by blood.  She adopted me from her daughter at birth.

This past spring she had some challenges and we hospitalized her for a week and rehab for a month.  We returned her to the hospital this past week for a stay and she was released to come home yesterday.  We quickly learned that she should not have come home.  They didn’t fix all the broken parts yet! ;)

I am a bit emotional right now.  I feel frustrated because I could not care for her today in a way my husband Jonathan can.  I have the gag reflex on anything that doesn’t smell good…  He does not.  Mom had an accident and I cleaned up as much as I could quickly then I lost it.  I felt helpless.  I can pick her up and move her from point a to point b and I can take care of all of her other needs.  But not today, not this one.

And I am frustrated because the health care system is so broken and our favorite hospital which was an independent hospital and is now ran by a local private charity; which does not offer the same level of care as before they took over.

I am realizing that there will be a time, very soon, that my mom will no longer be able to live at home, the care she is going to need will be more than we can offer.  And just beyond that benchmark will be the day that we prepare for her end of life.

It seems so much easier for me to counsel everyone else.  When it is your own family, it is very different.  When it is your own mother, it is very very different.

Last, but not least, I am reminded of how it seems that it was just yesterday I was in 3rd grade and mom was so young and there was so much life to live.  Today, most of that life has been lived.  And with every season there is a time to be born and time to die.



We can be the change we seek in this world, and in ourselves. 
One day.  One journey.  One person, at a time.
May peace, love and compassion be with you…AND from you!

Rev. Royal D. Bush is the founder of Inclusive Life, where he serves as a multifaith Chaplain.  He shares this message to all: “You are beautiful, you are loved and you are worthy, just the way you are.”  He holds a Bachelor Degree in business administration. He studied at Andersonville Theological Seminary.  He holds a current certificate of spiritual counseling with the International Institute of Faith Based Counseling and is a member of Spiritual Directors International.  He actively volunteers and remains active in many social justice issues.

Contact me:
402-575-7006
3622 Leavenworth Street Omaha, NE 68105

No comments:

Post a Comment