Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Good morning 9/11/12


I was sleeping in, it was my day off.  I was employed as the Director of Housekeeping for a Embassy Suites.  I enjoyed my days off.  I got to do whatever I wanted, and this day, I was sleeping in.  The phone rang.  Early.  !@%$&* Oh, it was a dear friend of mine, Weenonah.  We were talking about an upcoming meeting or meal we were going to have.  I turned on the TV just in time to see a plane fly into a building.  I wonder what country that was in… oh the US.  OH, NEW YORK.  And then other reports came in.  Weenonah and I were beside ourselves.  Crying. Screaming. Upset to say the least.

I always remember older adults (as I was growing up) talk about that they knew exactly where they were at and what they were doing when… JFK, MLK were killed.  For me, up until this point, it was Princess Diana.  And now, the terrorist attacks in the US on September 11.

When the buildings came down I was numb.  It was foreign to me that a “war” was possible… but someone had launched one against us.  I was born in 1967, nearing the end of the Vietnam “conflict” (war) and have lived a pretty peaceful life since.

I saw people jumping out of the building, sailing down through the air and lots and lots of smoke.  I was sad, mad and numb.  I wanted to go shopping I needed new work shoes.  Nope, nothing opened, I was even more mad at this point.

I never read any of the books, watched any of the movies.  I kind of wanted to put what happened that day out of my mind.  I am not sure I feel different about that today.  I feel a tremendous sense of loss, I feel for the many lives lost, and I am proud of how our country responded and came together to care for one another.

Today.  Today I woke up early and had all of these words on my mind.  I am grateful for all the men and women who serve their cities, counties, states and country in the name of public safety, security and protection.  Today I think of how far we have come as a country, you know, all that we have experienced: wars, famine, drought, etc. and I also think about how far we have to travel because there are many lessons in being humble we just don’t seem to grasp.


We can be the change we seek in this world, and in ourselves. 
One day.  One journey.  One person, at a time.
May peace, love and compassion be with you…AND from you!

Rev. Royal D. Bush is the founder of Inclusive Life, where he serves as a multifaith Chaplain.  He shares this message to all: “You are beautiful, you are loved and you are worthy, just the way you are.”  He holds a Bachelor Degree in business administration. He studied at Andersonville Theological Seminary.  He holds a current certificate of spiritual counseling with the International Institute of Faith Based Counseling and is a member of Spiritual Directors International.  He actively volunteers and remains active in many social justice issues.

Contact me:
402-575-7006
3622 Leavenworth Street Omaha, NE 68105

No comments:

Post a Comment