Thursday, January 19, 2012

Hotel Legends


I remember as a lad (yes I used that word) probably around 9 or so, my mom and sister working at a motel in Bellevue, it was called the Sandman Motel then.  Owned by Ruth and her husband, Mom and Sharon cleaned rooms and covered the desk when the couple would go out of town.

Perhaps that is why I had the hospitality “bug”.  A legend in the world of hoteliers is John Q. Hammons.  Mr. Hammons once told us at a staff meeting, you do this job because of one of two reasons; A) you make a lot money or B) you love people.  I didn’t retire from the hotel industry at an early age, so it must be B) for me.  Another legend is J.W. “Bill” Marriott.  He will be retiring on March 31 after over 60 years of service (does that mean he will get 3 retirement checks?) Friends who work for Marriott talk about the Marriott family values and core beliefs as if Bill had hired them himself.  He sent out a message each day while at the desk to each and every employee letting them know what was going on.

I was actually a Hilton person, spending most of my time with Embassy Suites and the DoubleTree brands.  I also worked with Holiday Inn and Best Westerns for a while.  My first stay at a Marriott property made me understand in an instant why Marriott Rewards was the number one brand for hotel guest rewards programs in the industry, their hotels seem to do it better more often.

I don’t know of too many more “family” businesses out there, that almost seems to be a another thing of the past, passing the baton from one generation to the other.  Maybe there is an “app” for that on my iPhone.

I often thought of writing a book about my experiences working and traveling in the hotel industry I would call it “From Both Sides of the Counter.” 

I think my career in hospitality helped groom me to be where I am today.  Serving others regardless if it is hotel rooms, marriage vows, relationship help or final words is a time honored tradition and something that will always be in supply.


We can be the change we seek in this world. and in ourselves.  One day.  One journey.  One person.  One generation of change at a time.

Royal D. Bush serves as Interfaith Chaplain.  He has studied at Andersonville Theological Seminary. and the International Institute of Faith Based Counseling.  He also holds a Bachelor Degree in business administration. He is available for premarital coaching. couples coaching. life coaching. and pastoral care in the Nebraska and Iowa area.

Inclusive Life offers both nondenominational and nonreligious care-serving all. without exception!  Inclusive Life offers Wedding Ministers, Premarital Coaching, Couples Coaching, Funeral Ministers, End of Life Planning, Pastoral Care, and Pathways Worship.

To reach Chaplain Royal or Chaplain Beth please email info@inclusivelife.org OR phone
402-575-7006.  105 S. 49th Street Omaha, NE and 500 Willow Ave Council Bluffs, IA. 

Omaha Weddings. Omaha Counseling. Omaha Funerals, Nebraska Weddings
Council Bluffs Weddings, Council Bluffs Counseling, Council Bluffs Funeral, Iowa Weddings

No comments:

Post a Comment