Monday, November 26, 2012

Another Day


Holidays…  every culture has their seasons, their traditions, their customs, their observations, and their “days.”

I have observed Thanksgiving and Christmas with my families since I was old enough to remember. 

My family will recall one Thanksgiving, my oldest memory, that I announced that I didn’t want turkey and wanted Oatmeal with raisins please.  I my mom made it for me.

Today, mom is 94 and after living the last 15 years with me, has transitioned into a care facility where she will spend her remaining time on earth.

She did not join us for Thanksgiving this year, she stayed “at home.”  I missed having her come to the kitchen and ask for samples, tastes and a hug…  She wanted to make sure everything tasted good.  She should not worry, she taught me how to cook.  She should have taught me how to exercise too! HAHA.

My friends seem to be a bit surprised at how easy it is for me to approach mom’s end of life with strength and beauty.  It is easy.  The moment we are born, we are old enough to die.  And if life is precious, if being born is beautiful, then surly death is something as equally incredible.

No, I don’t want my mom to die and I know that she can’t be here for another 100 years.  For now, I will take each day as given.  For it is another day that was not promised.

We can be the change we seek in this world, and in ourselves. 
One day.  One journey.  One person, at a time.
May peace, love and compassion be with you-and from you!

Rev. Royal D. Bush is the founder of Inclusive Life, where he serves as a multifaith Chaplain.  He shares this message to all: “You are beautiful, you are loved and you are worthy, just the way you are.” 

Chaplain Royal is available for Premarital Coaching, Couples Coaching, Grief Support, End of Life Planning, Hospital Visits, Baptisms, Blessings, Dedications, Officiate Weddings, Officiate Funerals, and other Pastoral Care.

ABOUT INCLUSIVE LIFE…
Inclusive Life Pastoral Services.
Religious, nonreligious, spiritual.  We serve all without exception.
3622 Leavenworth Street Omaha, NE 68105    
OFFICE: (402) 575-7006  TEXT: (402) 909-1668

No comments:

Post a Comment