Monday, December 12, 2011

Dying


I have a pair of these “house pants” that a dear friend gave me for Christmas one year (we well get to when in a moment) and well they are about dead.  They have holes in them, not from rips or tears but from being worn too thin.  The band around the waist is coming through the fabric and almost ready to fall out because of being too thin.  They are the most comfortable pair of comfort pants I own.  I ordered a new pair of them from the same company and well, they are NOT the same.  They are not comfortable.  They are not made as well.  They are not MY favorite pair of house pants.  I am now convinced that I will have to throw these away and will forever be in morning as such…  


A friend of my Greg gave me these pants some 15 years ago!  Ok OK OK!  So time MAY have been a factor.  Like cats, they can only live so long and like cats they only have 9 lives.  So you have to make do with what you have and that is that.


I called my friend Greg up and said listen do you know how much pain I am in right now because of your damn gift.  He said I have not given you a gift for years.  I said exactly!  We talked about what we gave each other that year.  He uses a shirt that I bought him at the same time to sleep in.  I LOVE IT!
We then turned the conversation to a mutual friend who was found dead in his home a few days ago.  He was not a person who was loud.  He was a person that many knew.  He was not a person who brought about great change.  He was a person who change the lives of many people with one smile, hug and word at a time.  He certainly left his mark on this world with those whom he helped, hugged and raised money for.  He made this place a better world.


I wonder in our final moments what is it that we recall?  What is it that we are thinking?  Do we wonder about what others will remember of us?  Do we wonder about what is the next leg of our journey?  Do we wonder anything?


I wrote this to his FB page to join that many comments left by friends… “I just learned of your passing. I'm sure I was as shocked as the rest of us. You always had such a great spirit, great big smile and a great hug. You are a true angel for some and a friend to many. You made this world a better place just for being you. May peace, light and love be with you on this part of your journey, it certainly was with us all when you were here.  A comfort we all can share is that we have one more angel looking over us all now. XOXO”
In this new age of media and social networking it is easier to share news, comfort one another as we can and to recall fond memories quickly about anyone, including those whom we miss.


I close with a final comment.  Tomorrow is a gift not promised.   The pants you put on tomorrow may not fit or may fall apart.  And a family member, loved one or friend may not be with us tomorrow.  Take the time today to celebrate those whom you love.  A phone call, a letter, a message (however you do it) and let them today what you mean to them.  It is never too late to say thank you, I love you, I appreciate you.


We can be the change we seek in this world, and in ourselves.  One day.  One journey.  One person.  One message at a time.

Royal D. Bush serves as Interfaith Chaplain.  He has studied at Andersonville Theological Seminary, and the International Institute of Faith Based Counseling.  He also holds a Bachelor Degree in business administration. He is available for premarital coaching, couples coaching, life coaching, and pastoral care in the Nebraska and Iowa area.

Inclusive Life offers both nondenominational and nonreligious care-serving all, without exception!  Inclusive Life offers Wedding MinistersPremarital CoachingCouples CoachingFuneral MinistersEnd of Life Planning, and Pastoral Care. To reach Chaplain Royal or Chaplain Beth please email info@inclusivelife.org OR phone 402-575-7006. Omaha Weddings, Omaha Counseling, Omaha Funerals

No comments:

Post a Comment