Sunday, November 27, 2011

Twelve Hours


This will be a three part series of my recent trip to Ogden, Utah.

Part One.  Twelve Hours.

As my long time and dear friend Phillip and I made our way across Nebraska, through Wyoming and into Utah it seemed, now, that it only took a couple of hours.  Although it was twelve hours and not a couple, the time did go by quickly. 

Phillip and I have known each other for over twenty years.  Through ups and downs, good times and bad, both of us being richer and poorer, our friendship has seen just about everything, including his father’s death.

I remember a friend of ours, Joe, came to me and asked to borrow a car to drive to Iowa.  I asked where and why.  He said, well, Phillip’s father has passed.  I said I am going too.  Joe asked, I thought you two were not getting along right now.  I said we are not, Phillip as an ass.  Joe said you really want to go?  I said, listen a friend is in need, we must go to him now.  And so we set out for the funeral.

We arrived and was introduced to the family.  We were getting ready to head back to Omaha and Phillips Mom insisted that we come over for more food (where would I possibly put MORE food, after being stuffed at the reception.  Church women DO know how to fix a meal!)  So we did.  And the family gathering turned into a laugh-fest, telling jokes, recalling times, and interweaving our life stories from Omaha with the family.  There were all in tears.  From laughing so hard.  I went to the kitchen for water, and Phillips mother was standing there just taking the “moment” in.  She thanked me.  I said I should thank you for all this food, I won’t eat for a week.  She said no, thank you for making people laugh.  Today, I recall that moment as time that was a slap in the head by that 2x4 saying… hey you are good at this do it!  (My calling.)

Phillip and I live in the same city and communicate often.  We have not, however, caught up on a few special moments in each other’s lives, so we did.  I VERY much enjoyed the ride out that if we turned around and came back the time I spent with Phillip was cherished and wonderful and was valuable enough for me to call a vacation.

We pressed on, through darkness and a small hill fire that really brought us to tears… that smoke was intense and incredibly thick.   It stayed with us the last hour of travel. 

Finally we reached Ogden.  The entire trip was filled with such scenery that we could click the camera at any point and we would have a perfect postcard.  The mountains, sunset, clouds and the ambience that nature provides is breathtaking!

I look back at how I have spend other twelve hour increments of time, and I realize I waste a lot of time.  I have many wonderful, “rich” people to spend it with.  The last twelve hours was so rewarding, warm and special.  I need to take more “time outs” to spend with those whom are important to my life.

We can be the change we seek in this world, and in ourselves.  One day.  One journey.  One person.  One car trip at a time.


Royal D. Bush serves as Interfaith Chaplain.  He has studied at Andersonville Theological Seminary, and the International Institute of Faith Based Counseling.  He also holds a Bachelor Degree in business administration. He is available for premarital coaching, couples coaching, life coaching, and pastoral care in the Nebraska and Iowa area.


Inclusive Life offers both nondenominational and nonreligious care-serving all, without exception!  Inclusive Life offers Wedding MinistersPremarital CoachingCouples CoachingFuneral MinistersEnd of Life Planning, and Pastoral Care. To reach Chaplain Royal or Chaplain Beth please email info@inclusivelife.org OR phone 402-575-7006. Omaha Weddings, Omaha Counseling, Omaha Funerals

No comments:

Post a Comment