Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Running

It has been written that the best way to cross the finish line is one step at a time.  Never give up, never quit, and never give in are all reminder that have been spoken to most of us at one time or another in our life.  Most all of my in-laws are all runners.  They enjoy running, biking, walking and entering marathons too!  You would think that since I am round, like a bike tire, I could join them in this journey, but no, running is just not for me.

My partner Jonathan has always said never give up, always keep going.  His email is runner34424.  He held the best marathon running time (until recently beat by his brother) and that was 3 hours, 44 minutes and 24 seconds.  Running for over 3 hours (26.2 miles!), are you crazy?  I get out-of-breath running to my fridge! (kidding)  I applied this logic to other areas of my life and found that I am a runner too.  Sure, it is easy to say I have ran from things in my life, and that is true I have.  I am speaking directly to the things I have ran to or towards. 

The biggest and most recent is Inclusive Life.  This is a ministry that I created in 2009, and it continues to amaze me what will unfold the next day.  Religion is such a “hot topic” word for so many for so many reasons.  Some I share!  I am beginning to understand that my focus is not ABOUT religion, it is focusing on the human being and their journey or truth or enlightenment.  All in all that has been a pretty mild “run” for me. 

The steep hill I run is when I process these thoughts: The number of people have been harmed, killed or changed forever in the name of religion.  The territorial behavior of many places of worship and “clergy” who believe they “own” certain groups of people or territories.  Those that preach and teach and talk about radical inclusivity and their actions (and those of their places of worship) do not match that message.

I have a message; YOU are beautiful.  YOU are loved.  YOU are worthy.  Just the way you are.  And that applies to all, without exception.  Now THAT is radical.  THAT is Inclusive Life!

 So as my in-laws continue to run, one step at a time.  I continue to explore how we can fit together in community, worship our diverse beliefs and still come away loving, respecting and enjoying each other despite the different paths we walk.

 We can be the change we seek in this world, and in ourselves.  One day.  One journey.  One person.  One step at a time.

Royal D. Bush serves as Interfaith Chaplain.  He has studied at Andersonville Theological Seminary, and the International Institute of Faith Based Counseling.  He also holds a Bachelor Degree in business administration. He is available for premarital coaching, couples coaching, life coaching, and pastoral care in the Nebraska and Iowa area.

Inclusive Life offers both nondenominational and nonreligious care-serving all, without exception!  Inclusive Life offers Wedding MinistersPremarital Coaching, Couples Coaching, Funeral Ministers, End of Life Planning, and Pastoral Care.

INCLUSIVE LIFE   (402) 575-7006   info@inclusivelife.org
In Omaha at 105 S. 49th Street, Omaha, NE 68132
In Council Bluffs at 500 Willow Avenue, Council Bluffs, IA 51503

No comments:

Post a Comment