Thursday, October 27, 2011

Given. Chosen. Family.

I came from a single parent family, it was just mom and I growing up.  Well, sorta.  There were always neighbors stopping by, family coming to visit  and friends of the family galore!  I learned, at a very young age, that although I had a “family” that shared my last name, I too had a family that didn’t.  They were made up of very special friends and “others” who are family in large collected over many years.

I moved from home when I was 20 years old to manage a store for a restaurant in Iowa.  My first Thanksgiving I called the day of to talk to everyone.  I could smell my moms food through the phone!  The next day (8 hour drive) my sister and mom showed up with my plate of food (and a whole pumpkin pie for me!)  Now that is family.

I remember at Christmas time, I was not able to go home when I waned because my car was not working.  So I planned on not going.  Shortly after I walked home from work a customer turned friend turned family.  He threw me the keys to his truck and said see you on Monday and tell you mother hello for me.  REALLY!  Now that is family!  (Mom made him and his wife a hand made afghan for “watching” out for me.

It is said that a friend is one who knows you and loves you just the same, I am sure the same can be said for family.  Just because we are related does not mean that we “have” to love one another.  I think that Erma Bombeck has it down correctly… “The family is a strange little band of characters trudging through life sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that bound us all together.”

We can be the change we seek in this world.  One person, one day, one journey, and one more in our family at a time.

Chaplain Royal Bush and Chaplain Beth Loofe are Interfaith Chaplains offering nondenominational and nonreligious care and services to all, without exception in Nebraska and Iowa. They conduct WeddingsPremarital Coaching, Couples Coaching,Funerals, End of Life Planning, and Pastoral Care. For more information please email info@inclusivelife.org OR phone 402-575-7006. Omaha Weddings, Omaha Counseling, Omaha Funerals

No comments:

Post a Comment